Recently, there has been an upsurge in the campaign against abusive relationships. Despite the warcry against women staying in abusive relationships, some of them still choose to stay. I’ve really pondered and asked myself why some women choose to remain under such circumstances. Here are possible answers to the question on my mind:
1. Money: This seems to be about the greatest raison d’être that makes some women remain in broken relationship. They wrongly believe that it is better to suffer in wealth than to laugh in poverty.
2. No Where To Go: This especially applies to women who marry men in another country (possibly better than theirs) and move over there with him. They tend to manage the domestic abuse for the want of a better life where they are and possible lack of another place to stay in that location.
3. Inferiority Complex: Truthfully, some women stay in abusive relationships because they find themselves in an unfortunate situation where not too many men like them and the man they are with seems to be the only person who has ever shown them love but happened to have changed overtime. They forget that they can and will find love again, if only they decide to give love (outside the abusive relationship) another chance.
4. Fear of the Negative Effects of a Broken Home On Their Children: Some women believe that every child should be given the chance to experience both fatherly love and motherly love because a father and a mother both have different roles to play in the life of a child and it is almost impossible for one person to play both roles. Also, some women are not totally certain that they would be given full custody of the child or children, however the case may be. Now, a broken home sure has its negative impacts on the life of any child, albeit its not the best option.
5.Foolishness:This list would not be complete without this point. Aside from all the possible “beautiful” reasons for staying in an abusive relationship, some women stay as a result of intense and ample foolishness.
Whatever your reason is, however beautiful your excuse may be, staying in an abusive relationship is not and can never be an ideal thing to do because the negative effects (both on you and the kids) far outweigh the so-called ‘good’ reasons for staying in an abusive relationship.
Say no to domestic abuse!!!
- Statistics gathered indicate domestic violence causes almost 100,000 days of hospitalization, 30,000 emergency room visits, 40,000 trips to the doctor every year, and 50% of all homeless women and their children are fleeing domestic violence.
- In batterer’s groups over 50% of battering men came from backgrounds where the male in their family was either very violent or controlling.
- 94% of victims are under age 18
- 80% are under age 30
- Less than 20% of battered women seek medical attention after any injury from abuse
- Center for disease control estimates that out of 223 cases reviewed where battered women killed their abusers, 75% were in the middle of confrontation or assault